Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 389

Thread: Your stuff?

  1. #271
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey come on guys, gimme some feedback. Is my playing that bad? [img]confused.gif[/img]

  2. #272
    Inactive Member Dazzler's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    1,373
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey, Rudy_Ment I listened to no 6. If you want me to be honest, I don't know what you are trying to say really, it just sounds to me like you're rattling off a loads of licks that you've been practicing and I didn't really get it. What was your intention with this piece? I don't mean to sound facetious, I'm genuinely interested to know as to me there is no structure to it. You start and stop these licks without it relating to anything. I tried to hear a motif or form, but I couldn't. If it's intended to be some sort of display of chops then I guess that's sort of fine, although it isn't my cup of tea butI just don't get the intent.
    Just my thoughts Rudy.

  3. #273
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You're right dazzler, completely. It wasn't a proper or musical solo, not a solo at all actually. I just let the minidisc run, and played things, but theres nothing cohesive. Truth is, I wish I hadn't posted anything now. It's all shit, and i was under a false illusion that it actually sounded good. I have a lot to learn still.

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ February 18, 2004 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Rudy_Ment ]</font></font>

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 18, 2004 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Rudy_Ment ]</font>

  4. #274
    Inactive Member Lorenzini's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 4th, 2001
    Posts
    204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys for the kind words!!!
    Dazzler to answer your question here you go:
    I did use a click for that track. Actually, for the 12/8 thing I really wanted to get away from using the click so that we could explore the feel, but the producer wanted it a certain way and he was right. I used to think that the click took away from the feel, but it was just my inexperiance using one. The second I embraced the click, I found that my ability to manipulate feels while staying in time was possible. It amazes how Vinnie and other guys of his caliber can achieve this!
    As far as the drum sound goes, I recorded that tune on Yamaha Maple Customs and a mix of K and A cymbals.
    Thanks again for the reply! I have enjoyed listening to everybody and have great respect for everybody envolved with HOD....

  5. #275
    Inactive Member Lorenzini's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 4th, 2001
    Posts
    204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

  6. #276
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ok, based on good advice from the expert HOD'ers such as dazzler and pete to name 2, who said to make a solo more structured, I'd be interested for comments on this. I tried to make it groovy, don't really know if it is or not. Please feel free to tear it apart, it's all good. I'll say right now before someone else does, I know it pushes a bit too much in places.
    [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img]

    http://jamesseph.phpwebhosting.com/DRuM'sStuff/snaregroove.mp3

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ March 24, 2004 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Rudy_Ment ]</font></font>

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 24, 2004 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Rudy_Ment ]</font>

  7. #277
    Inactive Member Dazzler's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    1,373
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Rudy, NICE!!! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] Now to me that is so much more musical, tasteful, thoughtful and mature than the previous solo. You are obviously holding back as you have already demonstrated that you have ample technique, but it now sounds (to me anyway) that you are starting to think about your ideas, developing and playing with them as opposed to letting your hands play their usual stuff.
    As a listener, I was happy to hear more actually as you intrigued me. I wanted to know how you were going to develop that nice snare and tom idea, whereas before I sort of switched off.
    It is such a hard topic to discuss as a solo is so personal, but good for you for thinking about what you're playing and caring enough about how you sound.
    Congratulations mate [img]graemlins/music.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

  8. #278
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah Rudy, don't worry, guy; most, if not all, of us have had to go through some constructive criticism from time to time in our development...[sometimes, quite a bit ;o) [img]tongue.gif[/img] ]...

    & like some of the other guys here have stated, i also find that i am my own worst critic when it comes to these things...when one listens as much as i do to the way guys like Weckl, Vinnie, & the lot phrase their ideas, it's easy to get down on one's self!! ;o)

    I have yet to listen to your posted mp3s [which i'll eventually get around to...i already spend more time than i actually have to spare on the forums sometimes, as you can see by the length of this post!]; but after reading here, I'll tell you a couple of little [true] stories...

    When my best friend, a local gtr player, moved away to LA aft high school to attend GIT/MI, he was in group lessons w Scott Henderson...guys would play some stuff in front of him & he would immediately say something like, "Man, your timing needs work," or, "is downright awful!" He told my friend that he had nice ideas, & good chops, but that he needed work on his time. My buddy said that he felt crushed [his ego] there in front of the other guys in the class [many of whom were receiving the same or even more harsh constructive criticism]. This kind of thing is necessary, albeit uncomfortable for the individual; but it is necessary sometimes for growth & development. [Now, I'm not saying that it's cool to degrade, or "break" someone's spirit.]
    But then again, some guys are under a false sense of ego, & need to be told these things - HOWEVER, i am NOT refferring to you here, as by your tone in your posts you DEF do NOT strike me as this kind of ind.]

    You know what my friend did? His ego was a little bit bruised, but he then set about practicing EVERYTHING w a click, to which his playing in the years that have followed has become pretty darn good [his faves are Holdsworth, Scott, Diorio, Martino, Wes M,'Trane, Bird, Miles, Weather Report, Chick, Herbie, MO, RTF, post pop/smooth jazz Yellowjackets; awa Gambale, BConnors, Zappa, Halen, Vinnie Moore/MacAlpine, Paul Gilbert, JBeck, Hendrix, Page, Pink Floyd [for the killer "slowhand"/make every note count stuff], etc]...

    Story #2...I went & had a master class w VINNIE, of all people, aft only a couple of yrs of playing, period...i played what i thought felt like a "Nanigo" [6/8 / trip-feel / afro-latin groove] that i had heard on "Imaginary Voyage" off JLPonty's live '79 album, w Casey Scheuerell on drums...he said that i pretty much had the stickings right, but that i was not feeling the groove properly...in front of a room of about 25-30 people, at $25 bucks a pop...so all my peers/"contemporaries" got to hear THE MAN give me a dose of good-ol' fashioned "CC" [constr. criti.]...i walked away from there a bit ruffled, but i'll tell you what - i went home & found out what was wrong w the way i was hearing/playing it, & i played that thing until i was "blue in the face" & got it right [img]wink.gif[/img] ...imagine what it was like for me to get that from whom i consider to be 1 of the most frightening exponents of the instrument of all time... [img]eek.gif[/img] [He was not "mean" about it; he's just at that level where he just didnt have the time for a lot of BS [img]biggrin.gif[/img] ; it's just that i was young & green [& maybe another color ;o) ] at the time [ATT, my fav was Neil]...when i look back on it, he was actually being nicer & more gracious than he could have OR should have been...but i guess he didn't want to crush me worse than his actual PLAYING already had!!

    So, no worries...take what you will here & learn from it; don't let it "get you down;" press on, "keep a stiff upper lip," & keep your chin up, mate! [I know that you will anyway/already are!]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 24, 2004 10:06 PM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>

  9. #279
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Echo, Dazz.

    You're a fine drummer, Rudy. People
    just want to hear you in context.

    I didn't see anything remotely harsh
    said about Rudy's cool strokes.

    Keep it up, Rudy!

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

  10. #280
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I did another one of these. Listening
    to you guys on your acoustic kits, makes
    me long for the touch again. These rubber-
    padded digitals are so unforgiving, dynam-
    ically. I hate that part of them.

    [img]frown.gif[/img]

    I'm going to be buying new pads this year,
    for them.

    Someday, I will put them back together.

    www.thediametrixletter.com/flotandoenelaire6.mp3

    Slightly different mix. Different solo,
    of course. I love working on these.

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •